We're honoured to have Raymond Goh lead us on this tour of the Singapore Hospital (SGH) grounds where he recently discovered gravestones and broken walls of a former lunatic asylum. Raymond and his brother, Charles, are the Asian Paranormal Investigators.
Stopover 1 (SGH grounds)
Explore the remains of one of the oldest cemetery in Singapore stretching all the way back to the 1820s. We'll try our hand at deciphering the tombstone inscriptions for a deeper understanding. We'll also walk through the ruins of a 19th century lunatic asylum
Stopover 2 - Kampong Bahru
Site in Kampong Bahru road where the Heng San Teng temple was located (next to old Pharmaceutical Department, 2 Jalan Bukit Merah). The temple was gutted by a fire in 1992.
More on Heng San Teng:
Understanding the history of the early Chinese immigrants through the first Hokkien society set up for the burial of Hokkiens;
Seat of power for the Hokkiens in the 1830s before this was transferred to Thian Hock Keng / Hokkien Huay Kuan.
Possible addition to walk: Visit to a mysterious shrine set up to worship a lady hero and learn why she was deified (within SGH grounds).
Stopover 3 - Tortoise Hill in Silat (opp SGH)
Explore a former kampong and burial ground and may be get a chance to listen to kampong stories of bygone days. Take a peek inside the old Sun God Temple to learn more about traditional Chinese beliefs and customs.
1. Registrations for this tour will close on Friday 9 January at noon. If you aren't able to register your place this time, fret not; we hope to conduct more and will let you know if we do.
2. Pack a bottle of water, insect repellent, an umbrella/poncho.
3. Walk will continue in light rain.
4. Tour will be conducted primarily in English.
5. All attendees MUST complete an indemnity form (a requirement by the Ministry of Health). Forms will be distributed at the meeting point and must be completed before the walk begins.
6. Meeting point: Outram MRT Station, Exit A, Street Level. Please aim to arrive by 9.45am.
7. For assistance (on the day itself only): 97111308
Cover image: The Straits Times - The Goh brothers at the former Tiong Lama cemetry on SGH grounds.
- The event description was updated. Diff 2015-01-06 03:33:57
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM SGT
- Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
On sale until Jan 9, 2015, 12:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- SGH Singapore 169608 Singapore
MEETING POINT: Outram MRT, Exit A, Street Level.
15 / 15